Thursday, March 5, 2009

No ride except "habal-habal"


Please allow me to share with you my experience, regarding work assignments in rural areas. I was assigned to conduct inspection on the construction of a school building in Pongpong ES, a remote barangay ES wherein there is no other means of transportation to reach the place except riding the "Habal-habal"and then by walking. Habal-habal is the name used on single motorcycle loaded with 4 or 5 passengers. We were a team composed of the Supply Officer, an Engineer and me. Were guided by the teacher assigned in the area. We rode the Habal-habal for an hour, but before reaching the end of the road we met an accident, the habal-habal stumble, unluckily our companions leg was burn-"Paso" it was hit by the "tambutso" of the motor. So proceeded by walking till we reach the end of the road. they called it camarin I. We had to stop to check the condition of our companion. He decided not to go with us anymore he cant walk due to the paso and I said OK. My companions were asking me, if we are going to continue, I said Yes. We asked the people there the distance that we are going to walk, they said walking for 3 hours, well reach our destination. The time is almost 6:00am, so we started climbing the mountainside uphill. We walk and walk, up and down the mountains, under the cover of trees, we were warned of the "Linta" we met natives or lumad in the area, they are very familiar with the place. Because of the upclimb, I almost lost my breath, so we had to rest once in a while. We forgot the time that it was already 12:00nn. We stop in a hut a "Kubo" and ate our baon. we are still halfway. . . Because of the "Pagod" I did not realized that I was bitten already by linta.. . .

5 comments:

earthlingorgeous said...

thanks for sharing your experience I have never rode a habal-habal before but I see them when I have a trip out-of-town :)

PancerBali said...

It’s so nice site. We love to see more on this site. Keep on updating… MonkAreYou Bali *dgdhfh

wanda said...

Thanks for you important information i like it and you very helpfullMyokezone,blog stuf and fun information

Seelaninfo said...

thks fr u r vst...pls cm again
by
indianrocksstar

JoSeLLE said...

the habal habal is a very popular mode of transpo here in provinces but i dont thnk i have ever ridden one... hmm i should make that one of my goals for this week hihi